Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Chicken Feet Bone Broth Recipe... For Your Pup!





   When my dachshund, Bingley, was diagnosed with IVDD and it began to progressively get worse, I started researching any kinds of supplements that might help her joints and spine heal.  I had heard about the benefits of bone broth on the human body and how it was a huge trend right now, but I hadn't heard of its use and benefits in dogs.  After searching for recipes, the only ones that I could find were ones catering to humans... meaning that they contained added ingredients such as onions and garlic, which can be toxic to dogs.  I did find a few recipes for dog bone broth and I tried several of them, however, my broth never got that golden "jello" gelling that I wanted.  This "jello" like gelling is what makes the bone broth SO beneficial, as it is the collagen extracted from the bones that is so good for spine and joint healing.  It was then that I learned about using chicken feet. YEP!  CHICKEN FEET.  Let me tell you, after a few rounds of making bone broth with chicken feet, I think I have the recipe mastered!  And guess what?  I am going to share it with you here!  It really isn't difficult to make AT ALL.  It is just a little time consuming.  So,  here is my secret to perfect nutritious bone broth!


What You Will Need:

  • Slow Cooker
  • Chicken Feet (Enough to fill up about half of the crockpot.  Keep in mind that the more chicken feet you add, the better the nutrients and gelling)
  • Purified Water
  • Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (2 Tablespoons)
  • Strainer
  • Ladle
  • Ice Cube Trays (for portioning and storing)

Step One:

 

In a large pot or stock pot, add the chicken feet, purified water, and 2 Tablespoons of Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.  Don't skip out on the apple cider vinegar, as it is crucial for exacting all of the goodness from the bones.  Then, bring it to a rolling boil.  Turn off the heat and skim the brownish green froth off the top of the water.  This froth contains all of the impurities from the chicken feet that you will want to remove from the broth.



After skimming the brown froth off of the top, transfer the water and chicken feet to a large slow cooker (Be careful!  It will be very hot).  Then, turn the slow cooker to low and cook the feet for 24 hours.  Keep in mind that the longer that the feet cook, the better exaction of the nutrients from the feet.  

STEP TWO


After 24 hours are up, you should have a nice golden broth.  Taking a pair of tongs, remove the feet from the broth and discard.  The feet should be completely falling apart, so be aware that there will be bone fragments still in the broth.


STEP THREE



Using a very fine strainer, strain the broth into a large bowl.  I use a ladle to scoop the broth out as it makes it easier to scoop and pour out the broth without spilling it.   Don't skip straining the broth as there will be small bone fragments in the broth and you don't want these getting into the broth that your pup will eat.   You can also place the broth in a blender and blend it a little when you are finished straining to ensure that there are not any bones or bone fragments remaining after you have strained. 


STEP FOUR

               


  Here is the part that is completely up to you... how you will store your bone broth. Regardless of how you decide to store it, make sure that you allow it to cool before placing it in the refrigerator or freezer.    Once it has been placed in the refrigerator for several hours or more, it should turn to a nice gelled "jello" consistency.  If it doesn't, next time try putting more chicken feet in your slower cooker. 

 How I Store My Broth

 



I will share with you how I have learned to store it for easier addition to my pups daily food bowls.  I like to store my broth in ice cube trays and freeze it. I measure 1/8 cup for each cube, as my pups each get 1/8 cup for lunch and dinner.  Once the cubes have frozen, I take out a bunch of cubes at a time and defrost them in the refrigerator in a glass container.  The broth will defrost into perfect little gelatin cubes.  Then, all I have to do is put one cube in each of their dishes, smash it up, and mix it with their food.  My girls love it in it's cold gelatin state, but you can always pop it in the microwave a few seconds and it will turn to broth form again, if your pup prefers it that way instead. 


TIP:  If you need to liquify the gelatin after you have stored in the refrigerator so that you can fill up the ice cube trays, take a few chunks at a time and place it in a 2 cup glass measuring cup.  Smash the chunks up with a spoon into smaller pieces and microwave for 50 seconds.  This will turn the gelatin back into a liquid so that you can easily pour it into the ice cube trays.  


This broth recipe is super simple and yet super nutritious for your pup!  Like I mentioned earlier, I feed my dogs 1/8 cup of broth twice daily.  They are 11 and 15 pounds.  If you are unsure of the amount to feed your pup, make sure and visit with your veterinarian first before deciding on a amount to feed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken Feet Bone Broth Recipe... For Your Pup!

   When my dachshund, Bingley, was diagnosed with IVDD and it began to progressively get worse, I started researching any kinds...